Old 04-18-09, 04:05 AM   #4
BitJam

Default Re: Need help with HDTV output

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitzb View Post
No, the monitor is connected to the HDMI output
But HDMI is equivalent to DVI. The Wikipedia says:
Quote:
A Digital Visual Interface (DVI) signal is electrically compatible with an HDMI video signal; no signal conversion needs to take place when an adapter is used, and consequently no loss in video quality occurs.
So as far as the Nvidia board is concerned, it is sending a digital DVI signal not an analog "TV" signal.

Quote:
I've disabled EDID, because the driver reads the PC modes from my TV. Because I've connected other sources the TV MUST be in TV mode. And then it only accepts 1080i or 720p.
The xorg.conf settings are for the Nvidia board NOT the TV. It does not matter what mode the TV is in. If you are using the HDMI connector, the driver treats it as a DFP device as clearly shown in your log file.

Please READ the Nvidia README about this. The TV* options are for the signal coming out of the TV-OUT connector. Those options do not affect the signal from the DVI/HDMI connectors.

Appendix D of the README explains device naming. If a display is connected via HDMI/DVI it is called a DFP device. If it is connect through the VGA connector it is called a CRT device and if it is connected to the TV-Out connector it is called a TV device. As you have noticed, the TV* options have no effect on the HDMI/DVI signal.

Quote:
With EDID enabled the driver always uses 1280x1024, wich is the best PC resolution.
Sigh. EDID should also tell the driver all of the resolutions available for the device. You can then use the nvdia-settings program to change the resolution by going th "X Server Display Properties" and clicking on the box showing your current resolution. Of course, if EDID is disabled and you don't specify any modes in your xorg.conf then you are probably SOL.

Again, I suggest that you enable EDID even if enabling it does not instantly give you the resolution that you want. Then use nvidia-settings to select your desired resolution and finally have nvidia-settings create an xorg.conf file for you with your desired resolution.
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote