Re: Video Haltiness Multiple Times/Second
1) You definitely need to find a way to post the nvidia-bug-report.
2) If you aren't seeing any (CPU usage) benefit from VDPAU, it probably isn't actually being used. Your CPU usage supports this.
3) More recent driver releases should have solved all/most of the issues with corrupt streams. Please try 185.19. If you find any issues, please post sample clips.
4) Is your video file stored/accessed over a network? Either way, the error messages oyu posted sound like a MythTV issue.
5) Try selecting different VDPAU de-interlacers; this should make some difference if VDPAU is in fact being used.