View Single Post
Old 04-22-09, 05:02 PM   #8
technoid

Default Re: HDTV - New User Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Any decent upconvert DVD player will make the DVD's look just fine on an HDTV. If you get a Blu-Ray player I highly recommend going with the 1080p set though.
Thanks... I'll look into the Upconvert DVD players. It seems like I remember reading when they first came out that they didn't do much? Have you seen one in action? Or better yet used one? I'm also considering looking into a Blu-Ray player, but of course being retired you have to watch your expenses pretty close. Do you have some favorite brands for the Blu-Ray?

One of our problems is, being old and retired... so we don't like that much of the new stuff so I'm not sure a Blu-Ray will be good for us. Are the Blu-Ray discs of older material good, or just a re-hashed not that good reproduction?

I need to go back to Best Buy and look at the Sony we like again, because if you can see the cables connected to the side panel inputs from the front of the TV I'd hate that. I don't want to see anything from the front of the TV.

Is it just me, or does a lot of people hate the Gloss Black frames? It just seems stupid to me to have a Gloss Black frame on something you watch all the time. I've worked as several things in my life and one of them was an engineer, and a Gloss Black frame seems brain dead to me. OPPs... I gave an opinon... I'll definitely loose the Pageant for that outburst.

I called FIOS support today and ask them what HD format they used, and of course he said they sent what the source material was in, 1080i or 720p. But he did say I could set some soft switch in the HD set top box to force an HD mode but what he said was too confusing to understand. So when I asked another question he said to call back once we had an HDTV and wanted to switch the modes because it was complicated and had to be done with the box off... or off-line maybe... I couldn't understand for sure so I gave up. I'll call and talk to someone else and see if I can get a straight answer, because this is stuff I need to know before I buy a HDTV... not after it

OPPs... forgot something. You said to get a 1080p Blu-Ray player, so does that mean all the output from it would be in 1080p? Or does the source material control it somewhat?

HA... I could give you the opinion I shared with other engineers a few years ago when this all started, but you don't want to hear it After that I kind of ignored HDTV since they seemed to be going in all directions at once