View Single Post
Old 04-26-09, 04:51 AM   #1
AwesomeTux

Post Easy nVidia driver update and installation

I call it "nDrivia" it is a _very_ simple shell/bash/terminal script.

Code:
# sudo chvt 1 #

echo 'NOTE: BY RUNNING THIS SHELL/BASH/TERMINAL SCRIPT, YOU AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE RUNNING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! This shell/bash/terminal script only runs the necessary commands, in their necessary order, to install nVidia Linux video card drivers, then restart GDM and the GUI (Graphical User Interface.)';
echo
sleep 8

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
/etc/init.d/gdm stop 
clear

cd ~/Desktop/
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-*-*-pkg*.run
clear

echo "Hope that did the trick for you! Let's see...";
echo
echo Restarting the Graphical User Interface!
sleep 4

/etc/init.d/gdm start
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
exit
Take that code, and save it as a .sh file on your Desktop, Documents, filesystem, or as I would do it in /usr/bin, so all I have to do is type in the "command" "sudo ndrivia"

Here's what'll happen. If you place it in /usr/bin. You have to have/download only ONE nVidia driver .run files on/to your Desktop. You have to press Ctrl+Alt+F1, it'll ask for your password, then type "sudo ndrivia" It'll ask for your password. Then It'll display this for 8 seconds...

Quote:
NOTE: BY RUNNING THIS SHELL/BASH/TERMINAL SCRIPT, YOU AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE RUNNING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! This shell/bash/terminal script only runs the necessary commands, in their necessary order, to install nVidia Linux video card drivers, then restart GDM and the GUI (Graphical User Interface.)
It'll then stop GDM, and run the nVidia installer. When the nVidia installer is finished, it'll display this for 4 seconds...

Quote:
Hope that did the trick for you! Let's see...

Restarting the Graphical User Interface!
It'll start GDM. And if you picked the right nVidia driver for your card(obviously) all should work.

NOTE: You might have to modify the code slightly, for example, to stop KDM, or for other KDE or Fedora/etc. things. This script is designed for GNU/Linux. And you should only have ONE nVidia driver .run file on your Desktop when running this script.
AwesomeTux is offline   Reply With Quote