View Single Post
Old 04-27-09, 07:59 AM   #23
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: 2000 to spend on a cinema setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
Just wondering because my only experience of a projector was one that I borrowed from school, is the black levels on a projector good? I can pick up a HC5000 1080p Mitsubishi projector for 800. I know it sounds like im cheaping out, but im a future student in just a few short months .
Well, the black levels of a Mitsubishi HC5000 aren't that great by today's standards, but it would be a good projector to get you started! Black levels aren't as important for projectors, as they aren't as noticeable as they are on plasmas or lcds. You could also get a grey screen to further improve contrast however.
The HC5500 sells for a bit more(~1100), but would be a better choice imo because the hc5000 has been discontinued since april 2008 and is starting to show its age. Another thing the HC5500 has going for it is the long lamp-life which is rated at 5000hours in ECO mode.

Personally I prefer DLP-projectors because of their film-like image quality so the infocus X10, IN80, Optoma HD800X(not the xlv model) or benq w5000 would be first on my list.

Remember to check the projectors placement flexibility as that will seriously limit the screen size(the hc5500 and most dlp-projectors have a 1.2:1 zoom ratio, which means that you'll have to have a throw distance of about 4m to fill a 92inch screen).

Is there any retail store near you where you could demo some projectors to see which one you prefer?

EDIT: Just checked out projectorpoint.co.uk's deals and you can get a hc6500 for 1679 with an extra bulb(which is a nice thing to have)!

EDIT2: Heh thought I'd try to get you even more excited about getting a projector - here's a post from a guy at avsforum who just got his first projector(benq w5000):

Quote:
Today I received my refurbished BenQ W5000. This projector is one of those milestone moments in your tech life when you realize "I can never go back". I have felt this way a few times in my life; iphone, broadband internet, blu-ray.......etc. I'm throwing the image on a wooden paneled wall in the basement and I am blown away. What must a screen look like. I have not even adjusted it yet. I can't stop smiling. It's so sharp and quiet. My bulb had no hours on it. No noise in the picture. I just keep popping in movie after movie just amazed. I really can't thank this community enough. I would have never experienced this if not for this place. Thank you all.