Originally Posted by LovingSticky
Most of Vista "bad rep" comes from two sources:
- people massively stealing Vista using cracks to activate it (these cracks were, due to much better antipiracy protection, highly unstable), screaming all over the net about "horrible experience" with their cracked version -> so they went back to XP, were cracks were more "mature", bashing Vista
- people with 5 year old PCs w/ 1GB of RAM, who experienced performance drops comparing to XP, do not taking into account Windows Search, Windows Defender and other services built-in into Vista, but not XP
People who purchased Vista and have decent PCs are extremely happy. Rock-solid OS, in SP1 with identical kernel to Windows 2008 Server.
I viewed Windows 7 as "Vista SP2", but there are some nice things, like virtualization, that make it a bit more. I have no problem with Microsoft selling "Service Packs". Apple is doing this for ages (10.3, 10.4, 10.5 OS X updates include very little new stuff, even less then you can freely download for Microsoft OSes - Windows Defender, excellent Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Photogallery, Windows Desktop Search, IE8, Microsoft Earth, Office 2007 compatibility packs for Office 2003, and myryads of other apps are available freely for Windows XP as well). Can you imagine Apple giving so much apps for free for 8 year old OS?
In fact, Microsoft is too generous most of the time
- The crack doesn't make the OS run bad LMAO. Its an activation crack using SLIC bios to make the OS think it's a Dell or ASUS PC. It has nothing to do with performance. Wow to this - just wow. I didn't think people were that clueless. You should work for the MPAA or RIAA.
- 5 year old PCs with 1GB ram run Windows 7 beautifully. Vista was just a hog plain and simple. Stop defending the garbage. Netbooks runs Windows 7 beautifully too. Win7 still has Windows Search, defender and the "other services" you mentioned yet runs 100x better than Vista.
- the Vista kernal wasn't the same as Server 2008 until SP1 I believe.
- Vista SP2 vs Windows 7 - no contest. I'm running the believed gold code of SP2 on my machine and on another HD Windows 7 7100. Same hardware, same overclock on GPU and CPU, and it's no contest. Ram usage is far lower in Windows 7, everything is faster. Again, Vista is, was and will always be a resource hog - you can put lipstick on a pig all you want...
I think you were as far wrong on all points as anyone possibly could be. Teh internets have phailed you.