View Single Post
Old 04-29-09, 04:14 AM   #5
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: Easy nVidia driver update and installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTux View Post
Well... FIX IT, IMPROVE IT.
The idea behind it is broken, not only the script. And this is something we can't fix.

Quote:
So we can all have a really easy way to install the latest nVidia drivers.
We do have a really easy way to install the drivers: Using the packages provided by the distributions. This is, in my humble opinion, the only correct way of doing it.

If a distribution package manager does not think that the latest driver is ready for being included in the standard distribution, then he is probably right. Normal users, who would be the targeted audience for such a script, should never install it then.

If you want to help, then create packages of the latest driver. This is the correct way of handling such things.

It is almost impossible to write a bash script for that. There are hundreds of distributions out there, which handle init scripts, configurations, modules, xdm|gdm|kdm, X, ... completely different. You would have to write a one for all script, which will be almost impossible to maintain.

That's why there are packages, they take care of distribution specific stuff.

Quote:
I'm a free software advocate. Maybe the final script will be incorporated into the drivers themselves.
I don't think so. The driver installer does now include the possibility of adding distribution specific hooks, and we have package management solutions for linux.

As said, the bash script would be unmaintainable, huge and still a bad idea.

Quote:
I'll also point out "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
Bad idea. Because that way nobody would criticize bad ideas, and all those bad ideas would be implemented (This can be applied not only to software, but also business, clubs, politics, ...). We told you _why_ it is bad, this is the important difference. This is what we call "productive criticism" here. It helps to improve things. As a free software advocate you should be aware that this kind of criticism is wide spread, just read the Kernel Mailing List as a good example.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote