View Single Post
Old 04-29-09, 06:10 AM   #8
AwesomeTux

Default Re: Easy nVidia driver update and installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
On your system, your distribution, yes.

I can give you at least 3 popular distributions where it won't work, plus mine (which is Gentoo, I don't count it as too popular)

Let's see what has to be adapted only for gentoo: sudo is not part of a "normal" gentoo installation (if such a thing even exists). Neither /etc/init.d/gdm nor /etc/init.d/kdm exist.

The manual installation might screw up the libraries, as usually with gentoo you have them in a special place, and by using eselect you can choose which ones to use.

Now just multiply those changes (because the amount of work needed is probably +/- the same) by distributions available, and you see the problem.

For gentoo: they are (and it is easy to write a ebuild for the short time where they are not). For the others: create packages for them. You can't have a one-for-all script, so the best option is packages.

If you have too much time at hand, just install half of the distributions you just mentioned in virtual machines and look at the adaptions needed for your script. Then you might see the problem.
All that yammer is bull****. It is a _very_ easy thing to accomplish. It'll just take so much longer if I have to do it alone.

Quote:
So you prefer to shut people up instead of hearing productive criticism, noted. You will forget about your script if you don't receive (enough) positive feedback here: noted.
And I will continue to use this script, but I won't post it again or recommend it to someone if people (elsewhere not just here) don't think it's a good start to a good idea. There seems to be an abundance of people like you here. Who are just as corrupt as nVidia is.
AwesomeTux is offline   Reply With Quote