View Single Post
Old 04-29-09, 12:36 PM   #17
etherfish

Default Re: Remote Access + Hardware acceleration

Assuming question #2, the answer is yes. The solution requires no extra software. No VNC, NX or anything else. In my computer science lab, we use this method all the time to put video, webpages, etc. up on a projector in our lab from our workstations.

All you need to do is on your server, set the DISPLAY environment variable to "display-client-hostname:0.0"

For example, in our lab, we call the computer attached to the projector "mruniverse" so, to redirect X-windows output from my computer to the projector computer, in a shell, I run:

export DISPLAY=mruniverse:0.0

If you don't have DNS, you could easily use the IP address. It's most likely that your linux distribution has network accces to the X server disabled. Enabling it properly is a bit complicated, but here's a quick way to manually start the X server to work well in this mode. First, you have to shutdown any graphical login program, like gdm or xdm.
Try these two:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
/etc/init.d/kdm stop

You should now be at the white-on-black, all-text Linux Console screen. Log in as root and type:

X -noreset -ac &

X windows will start and you will have a cursor, but you will not be able to do anything. Literally. Don't worry. If you need to shut down the server press Ctrl, Alt, and Backspace simultaneously.

On another machine, type:

export DISPLAY=IPofYourDisplayComputer:0.0
xterm &

You should now see on your display an xterm window. There is no window manager running, so don't expect to be able to move the windows around or resize them or anything.

You should try running a movie player like mplayer to see if that will render your h264 content well enough. The XV extension will work properly over the network, btw. I can give you more details if you'd like.
etherfish is offline   Reply With Quote