View Single Post
Old 04-29-09, 06:08 PM   #1
NickSlade

Default New to Linux - nVidia problems

Hi just recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit Desktop, thought I would give it a try.

After installation Ubuntu booted up and I was greeted with the new desktop. After messing around a bit and trying to find my way around (I'm a Windows user) I realised I was unable to enable Extra appearance features due to the need to update my nVidia drivers.

My problem is that however I install nvidia graphics driver package, after rebooting it hangs at Checking battery state... [OK].

I've tried installing by downloading and running 180.51 and 170 and the package, using Terminal, using Envy and nothing works - I get the same problem each time. I've looked at many different posts/threads and searched Google and can't seem to find an answer.

I was at one point able to boot into Ubuntu after uninstalling my nvidia drivers through recovery mode and using "sudo envyng -t" and then following the instructions.

I need help as I am looking forward to using Ubuntu but will not until this problem is solved.

*Also my sound isn't working but I'll get that sorted after my graphics problem.

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.67GHz
nForce 680i SLI motherboard
4GB RAM
nVidia 8800GTX x 2 SLI
Seagate 250GB x 2
WD Velociraptor 150GB
Using built-in 7.1 sound card
NickSlade is offline   Reply With Quote