View Single Post
Old 05-16-09, 08:09 PM   #1
Jaap v Ganswijk

Default Palit 9800GT fan very loud under Linux

I recently bought a Palit 9800GT video card and it works perfectly under Windows, that is, it's very quiet when I'm not playing a game and I don't mind that it becomes louder when I am playing a demanding 3d-game (but I haven't noticed that) but under Linux it's constantly very loud. This seems to be because the fan is constantly running at full speed.

I have spend many hours trying to find a solution on the internet but didn't find one. I have also asked in the store where I bought the video card and they knew about the problem(!) and didn't have a solution either and were also waiting for nVidia to solve it.

It seems that the driver has to keep track of the temperature and adjust the fan-speed and when there is no appropriate driver the fan will rotate at full speed (which is a safe design decision given the circumstances) but I think that critical hardware should always be able to work independently of software, which means that the hardware should regulate the fan speed itself independently of the software. You should be able to set a desired temperature and when the temperature gets above it, the fan should go faster and the other way around. This setting should start with a sensible value (like 55 degrees celcius) and should be changeable in the BIOS and/or in the OS when the OS recognizes the hardware setting. But to make the hardware feedback dependent on software seems to be a clear design mistake.

By the way, for the time being I have installed my old MSI NX7600GT video card again because it's passively cooled and it still does well enough for most games (except Quantum of Solace but I have finished that by now). By the way, they are currently selling a passively cooled 9500GT for 55 euro and I was wondering if that would be much better than the 7600 card, but according to the store it wouldn't be much more than 25% better. (But it would have CUDA which I want to experiment with under Linux).

Can someone from nVidia comment on this problem? This problem should concern everyone using a modern nVidia card under Linux assuming that Palit used the standard design from nVidia as the person in the store confirmed.

What I would like to know is: Is this problem known to nVidia? Is it being worked on? Will it be solved soon? Will it also be solved in the open-source nVidia driver?

BTW. Installing the nVidiadrivers can be very hard...
Jaap v Ganswijk is offline   Reply With Quote