View Single Post
Old 05-16-09, 08:53 PM   #12
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
I recently received a book on visual studio 2008 and after reading the first few chapters, I realize it says that compiled programs require the .Net framework.
Did you read the book well?

Your cody only needs to link against .NET components if you actually use any in your code, otherwise... no

Quote:
Im wanting to learn a programming language but from what it seems, learning visual basic would be a Complete Waste of time since it requires .Net
Why would it be a waste? I'm mainly a C/C++ programmer, but if a given company pays me to develop an application in Visual Basic, why not? it depends on your purpose, but for me, I just prefer to use the right tool for the right job.

Visual Basic lets you build quite robust applications with database access and other kind of components with ease, that's what I mainly use for developing business applications. In the other hand, if I would like to create something like a game, I would use C/C++, but it's just a matter of taste.

Not any single programming language is a waste of time or resources, they're designed with different things in mind to satisfy different purposes... so, as I said before, it's just about to use the right tool for the right job.

Quote:
Is there anyway to create a project without the need of .Net
New -> Project -> Win32 -> Win32 Console Project (in Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition)

Seems to me like the simplest way of creating an empty project

Quote:
Thus said, should I forgot about VB and start with C++ since compiled projects can be distributed to any and all computers and work fine?
Like Absolution said, if you write your code in a portable way, relying on ISO/ANSI C/C++, you can port your code from Windows to other platforms.

As a personal advice, don't go with C++ directly, instead go to C first, learn the basics, how to declare variables, operators, pointers, structures, functions, and when you're proficient enough with it (we all started doing printf's before being able to develop something bigger), learn about C++, methods, attributes, classes, just step by step

(but it's just an advice)
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote