View Single Post
Old 05-19-09, 11:39 AM   #1
daver208

Default The infamous Error inserting nvidia No Such Device

I've tried searching, and though it seems to be a common problem, there doesnt appear to be any solutions. Anyway for reference,

Intel Q6600, 4 GB ram, Evga 9800 gt 1Gb, ubuntu 8.10 x64

Tried using the ubuntu prompted proprietary drivers, but upon reboot , x would crash. So i downloaded the most recent stable version 180.51 and installed. I had to use the script with -k $(uname -r) to get the script to build the kernel module, but thats par for the course. I've tried this with both a previous install, and a fresh install.

Since that time i have tried 180.44, as well as 185.18.08, all with no luck. The installer finishes in each case, but upon reboot it fails to load the kernel module.

A sudo modprobe nvidia results in
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.27-14-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): No such device

When you look in /var/log/kern.log I noticed the following

NVRM: The NVIDIA GPU 01:00:0 (PCI ID) 10de:0605 installed in this system is not supported by the 180.51 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release. Please see appendix A - Supported Nvidia GPU products in this releases README......

After checking appendix A it does in fact report that the 9800 GT 0605 IS Supported... I know you can discover all that from the attached log, but I thought it might help someone searching the forums....

Thanks,

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.7 KB, 98 views)
daver208 is offline   Reply With Quote