View Single Post
Old 05-19-09, 09:48 PM   #1
Phyre

Default Few File Server Questions

I've got an old rig that I currently have connected to the network wirelessly. I'm planning to move this rig to the closet in my main computer room and get it a wired connection. Transferring large amounts of data over a wireless g connection is trying my patience. The rig is nothing special:

Chaintech Zenith ZNF3-150
Athlon 64 3200
2 Gb RAM
(2) Maxtor 200 GB SATA 1.5 drives

It doesn't need to be anything fancy as there will be no streaming of music or video. It will mainly serve as a place for backup and perhaps redirect for "My Documents." Well, okay, maybe it will stream iTunes. This will mainly be serving one machine though.

The Questions....

Which operating should I be using for this. I'm currently running Windows XP on this machine. Should I even worry about installing an actual server OS?

The motherboard has an onboard Gigabit NIC. Should I install a standalone NIC to offload CPU cycles? I'm planning to get a D-Link DIR-855 in the near future; I've currently got a Linksys BEFSX41.

I'm considering a RAID 1 or RAID 5 scenario. The RAID 1 would be two 1 TB hard drives, and the RAID 5 wold be three 1 TB hard drives. I don't see myself filling up 2 TB of information anytime soon. I'm thinking I'll go with RAID 1. Also, should I stick with the onboard SATA RAID controller or go with a dedicated card?

If there is something I'm missing or haven't considered, please let me know.
Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote