View Single Post
Old 06-08-09, 01:29 PM   #56
SirPauly

Default Re: PhysX officially sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor976 View Post
I smell marketing win here, unless my sarcasm detector is broken today... If your post is serious I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but physx alone will never under any circumstances result in more FPS or change input response or server ping rate.

While physx allows more complex geometry the video card is shifting resources used for drawing in order to process that geometry, then it has to draw more on the screen with each FPS. That results in a drop in FPS any time it's implemented. You're just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Still, it does have potential, but it without support from ATI and with 8-12 core CPU's on the horizon what's really the point with offloading from the CPU?

Now, if Intel/AMD add extensions to all those cores which could support it directly, that would be spectacular.

Does anyone remember adding an FPU math coprocessor to their system? What ever happened to those? "They actually did give lots of DOS games a boost in FPS".
That's not necessarily true about improving performance because it actually does in my mind-set. You're gaining more performance when compared to the CPU -- so to say any time it is implemented - don't agree.

If the context is does GPU Physics take a performance hit when compared to no added advanced Physics? Then yes. But the point of GPU physics is to allow more advanced
Physic content considering the raw potential of stream processing when compared to the CPU.

PhysX/Apex is more than just GPU Physics but a Physic engine and tool set that is cross platform that caters to the CPU and GPU.
SirPauly is offline   Reply With Quote