View Single Post
Old 06-10-09, 06:31 PM   #67
Rakeesh

Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well put it this way. I don't see FOSS devs moaning and griping about their toolkits and saying such things as Google do.
They built Android and didn't moan, now all of a sudden they port a browser and moan about Linux.
Woah hold it right there. I don't even think you understand what their gripe is, and furthermore I think your understanding of linux itself isn't all that great to begin with. Android is built on linux, but its similarities with other linux distributions ends right about there. You don't seem to understand that Linux is just the kernel. X11, gtk, qt, etc are all built on top of that. However, these are the things that define "linux on the desktop," not the kernel. And the fact is, they all suck. Therefore, linux on the desktop sucks. And they need to make chrome available for your everyday linux distributions that use all of these.

Quote:
While that guy speaks about Qt as if it is nothing but unicorns and rainbows, it isn't without its own set of problems. I should know, I was once on an OSS development team that used it, and although I wasn't a coder, I remember several of them griping about it. (google tystudio)

Quote:
By the way, Firefox started off in the FOSS world and Google didn't do anything UI wise, they did the anti-phishing extension. Open Office was released by Sun Microsystems, Google helped distribute it and the search bar. Google had nothing to do with the development or UI.
And this means what exactly? The guy they hired used to be the lead firefox developer, i.e. he worked FOR them, not google.

Quote:
One more thing. Linux is a desktop OS, it's been used as one for over 10 years, about 20 million people use it now days actually. Sorry but you're out of your depth here. Get your facts straight.
What everybody is saying is that it is a very bad operating system to use on a desktop. It is great for other things though.

Quote:
The point was it doesn't matter how good Windows 7 is, most core Linux users wouldn't use it because of the draconian licensing which Windows 7 doesn't change. We like our software freedom without the need for activation and reactivation, hardware change or reinstall.
Which is fine and all, but some of us put function before ideology when it comes to our software. When we want something done, we want it done. We don't want to pledge allegiance to the open source flag every time we use it, we'd rather just not even think about it if possible, and focus on the task at hand instead. That said, we go with whatever tool makes the job cleaner and easier.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote