Re: GForce4MX + Athlon + Ubuntu 9.04 can't get it going, ran great in 8.10
ok, so here's the bug report generated by the nvidia script. This is what I've been doing on a totally fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 (studio):
1. I try to install the 96.x legacy driver as recommended by Accessories>Admin>Hardware Drivers
2. This d/l's and goes through an install. It appears to have finished (I get the bar telling me it's done 80,90% etc) but then the install dialogue box disappears and I'm left with the original hardware drivers notification still telling me to install
3. I go to nVidia X server settings, a dialogue appears and says: "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."
4. I run nvidia-xconfig as root as suggested. A prompt tells me to reboot.
5. Desktop icons disappear and I'm left with the desktop background image. The system hangs.
6. I have to switch the machine off to restart; X fails to start and I go into a shell to generate the bug report from the nvidia script. Log attached below.
7. I get X restarted by replacing xorg.conf with a blank file
8. Umm, I post this here