View Single Post
Old 06-12-09, 01:50 PM   #83
Rakeesh

Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Linux lost out to Microsoft this year on network sales, since Linux netbooks had 70% of the market last year. Now it's projected around 10%. This is really not a surprise considering the tactics being played by Microsoft.
Like what exactly?

Here. Read this quote:

Quote:
People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don’t know what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start realizing that it’s not what they are used to. They don’t want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks.
That is not due to anything microsoft is doing. This is because they don't like linux. They aren't you. They aren't buying an ideology, they're essentially buying a tool. If they wanted to buy an ideology, they wouldn't be going to a computer store.

Quote:
It's known that Microsoft are selling XP at a loss just to gain market share. I'm not going to lie to you like some sort of Linux/ Windows fanboy would, it's a big blow to what was a great start for Linux with netbooks.
Not going to lie eh? Ok prove it. Show me how it's "known" that microsoft is selling XP at a loss. In fact I'd like to know how it is even possible to sell XP at a loss. Even if they sold it for $10 per unit they'd still make a decent profit (which I don't even think they sell it for that low to netbook makers.)

Quote:
There are all sort of questions being asked out there about Microsoft like "Is Microsoft ‘Buying-Off’ Linux Netbook Vendors?"

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009...tbook-vendors/
Terrible source for your argument. One, it's heavily biased. Two, I like this little part:

Quote:
familiar – Well, OK I’ll give them that. But I could make Ubuntu blue and have big child-like buttons if I really wanted to.
WELL GUESS WHAT, YOU DIDN'T.

Furthermore his case for them being bought off is a bad one. It's pretty simple really, the OEM's have an easier time selling windows because consumers like windows better. And when they do sell linux netbooks, they are four times more likely to be returned. I like his little speculative argument here:

Quote:
This whole thing reminds me of the stupid and cringe-worthy adverts you see in the press where Vendor X says that they “Recommend Proprietary OS Home Premium”. Do they hell. Do you think they really believe that? Or do you think they have been given incentives to say so?
Yes to the first question, no to the second one. For the most part, the consumer doesn't even know what the hell the OS is. They just turn their computer on and click start and click word. Sure they've heard the name microsoft, and windows, but they don't even know what exactly windows means. So when you ask them what OS they want, how the hell do they know what they are going to pick? Hence the vendor makes a recommendation. If you don't know what OS you want, you are probably looking for Windows.

Gee, ya think?

Some people are so retarded, they have to put a conspiracy theory behind something that is otherwise so simple.

We keep hearing every year that "this year will be the year of linux on the desktop" because it is going to get x improvement here, etc etc etc. Yet does it ever happen? These articles are basically making that same claim, only with netbooks instead.

Quote:
That's fair enough. Clearly not Linux's fault and it shows that people even bring XP netbooks back to the store. You see Microsoft gained desktop share by getting people used to Windows from the enterprise market 'use at work, why not use at home' sort of slogan.
No, people just got used to microsoft, and eventually brought it home. Microsoft never even marketed to non-business related use until windows 95 came out, and at that time people had been using it in the home for years.

Quote:
It's always hard to get people using something they're not used to, it's just a fact and not that Linux is bad as a desktop OS. Apple is barley making 8% share and just about everyone consciously knowns the name "Apple" from iPods and iPhones unless you've lived under a rock for the past 20 years.
Well if linux was so great, how come it isn't ahead of apple even? Windows has a huge cost advantage over apple, and linux has a huge cost advantage over windows.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote