View Single Post
Old 06-15-09, 04:34 PM   #64
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Doom 4 30FPS cap (?)

To get point A out of the way, I have done a ton of gaming on the 360 and PS3 and tearing has only been noticeable on a few titles. The only one that sticks out in my mind is the first GRAW.

I don't know what youtube does to videos, so I can't comment there.

As for what is modern and what isn't and my "ignorance," I think you just are missing my point. You're playing older games and love them more than console games, good for you. I would probably agree with you, since I find older PC games to be my favorite games of all time, more often than not, as far back as Monkey Island and Deus Ex.

My statement was that now-a-days, since the Xbox and Halo became popular, PC games have not usually had a real graphics advantage in most titles. Whereas it used to be a console version of a hit PC game, like Quake 2 or Diablo, was massively inferior to its PC counterpart, or PC games never appeared on consoles at all, now-a-days games are released for all systems more or less looking exactly the same.

Playing Ghostbusters this week on PC will get you more AA and higher resolution, and maybe even an added effect or two rarely, it's still the same fundemental experience and graphics. It is 99% the same, especially when viewed on an HDTV from a moderate distance.

I played PC games in the 90's and early 00's because there were experiences and graphics in those games you couldn't get anywhere else. I feel as much at home with a control pad as a mouse and keyboard, so that was never an issue. I mainly played PC games because it was the only place you could play Jedi Knight and Diablo 2, and the only place Quake 2 and Command and Conquer played like the should. My main point is that this is no longer the case 99% of the time.

The only reason I stick with PC gaming at this point is better graphics and mouse conrols in FPS games. That is why the platform is weaker now, because most of its unique abilities and games have gone away. Crysis and The Witcher don't make an entire platform.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote