View Single Post
Old 06-15-09, 06:14 PM   #26
betterdan

Default Re: cpu Cooling solutions...what do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
Xigmatek Dark Knight on the way for me.
I just ordered my Dark Knight today from Newegg and it shipped a little while ago. I'm using it on a Q9550. The stock heatsink/fan is on there now and with no overclock it's running at about 40C at idle with the Intel speed step turned on so it's not even running at full speed at idle. With a load of Prime 95 for about 15 minutes it gets up to 70 - 72 C. My wife was playing Lord of the Rings for about 3 hours and the max it hit was 60C. Hopefully this new heatsink/fan will cool the cpu down enough to do some overclocking (even though I really don't need because with the older games I play with the 7800 GTX 512 and this new cpu, they still run great).
I've got a Coolermaster Wavemaster case and I've read a lot about the crappy airflow in them and I can attest to that since it always is hot in that case. If the cpu doesn't cool down enough I'll add a 120mm intake fan on the side of the case and maybe even duct the cooler air towards the front of the cpu where the Dark Knight is blowing over the heatsink.

I saw the thread where you sent yours back for a ThermalRight Ultra 120 because of the crappy contact with the cpu but you later found out the cpu was bowed. I saw you also said that heatsink manufacturers know about this and were making their heatsinks to allow for that. I wonder if it's just the new I7 cpus like this or the quad cores too? If the quad cores are not bowed but the heatsink mfg are allowing for it then wouldn't they not fit right on a quad core?