View Single Post
Old 06-17-09, 06:28 PM   #77
Atomizer

Default Re: Doom 4 30FPS cap (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoplasym View Post
A. Hmmm, really.... I take it you're not a fan of the UT series as a whole then? I wasn't expecting UT3 to do anything different than UT04 and UT... other than have an improved look, and weapons that looked and behaved slightly different than the previous version. I expected nothing more when UT04 dropped as well.

I'm very satisfied with the latest version... looks amazing, feels absolutely amazing/butta, the maps are sick, the weapons are fun as hell, the introduction of the vehicles on some of the maps was a nice touch = AA works, lol... I give it an A+.
I used to like UT, but yeah its as you said, I never really played it that much, I was really into Quake MP, back in the day, but ever since Team Fortress, CTF, Counter-Strike etc, deathmatch, and even team deathmatch has lost its charm, and I know UT has some other game modes but I dunno, it obviously didnt hold me otherwise I would have bought it :P

Quote:
B. I hear ya, believe me... if it wasn't for Sony and Microsoft asking 'way' too much money for their overpriced hardware, I'd have both of those systems with the exclusive 'action/arcade' games... I could never play a shooter on those systems whether 3rd or 1st person.... I'm a mouse man and always will be. Hell, there's probably a lot of games I'd enjoy on those two systems but again, the ridiculous prices for the hardware makes that option out of the question for me. Charging 5x more for a Harddrive insults me more than I can put into words.... same goes for the ****ty video cards those units have.
The whole seperate HDD and HD-DVD thing on the 360 is laughable, I honestly hate the xbox more then any other console(despite now owning one), IMO the best current gen console is the PS3, well, in terms of technology, bluray drive, built in wireless, great for streaming media off my computer and watching my collection of bluray movies, pretty much all it gets used for now, mainly cause im always "busy" on my PC :P
Infact, out of all the consoles I have, the only one ive played recently is...my PS2.

Quote:
'BOLD' - I disagree somewhat... I think the 'main' reason Publishers have decided to centralize their efforts towards Console gaming is because of the unified hardware architecture/structure = it's waaaaay easier for Developers to make games for said systems because of the lack of variables (i.e. things that can/will go wrong on a variety of PC Systems), AND also because they are not expected to make a game as solid... because Console Gamers don't expect the same experience as the average PC Gamer does.

They don't expect V-Sync and AA... or completely solid frame rates... hell, they just want to plug a game in, and be able to manipulate blobs on the screen relatively hassle free.
Hmm, not sure about the V-Sync and AA part, since its fairly basic to include, especially with V-Sync, all you need to do is tell the driver to enable or disable V-Sync, so at most adding another option to the menu.
You're right about development for consoles being much easier though, 1 set of hardware, allows them to optimize only for that set of hardware, where as PC has a million different combinations its impossible for a company to test them all, not testing different combinations will result in a bug ridden game that people will return or end up not buying(which in turn also means they need to spend money patching things), but testing on a wide range of hardware setups also costs money, and then they will still need to patch it.

Quote:
I concur: all FPSs belong on PC... I wish the Publishers for these gorgeous looking Console shooters would get them ported over to PC. I guess they're worried they won't sell well and deem it a waste of money and time... plus... if they're going to port them, they'd have to make sure V-Sync works at a minimum.... and AA too unless they want to be ridiculed (which I spose they don't give a sh*t about anyway, lol, hell... they do it their Console Fan base).
IMO, some console shooters are best left there :P
But some definentely need to be on PC, but...not ported, developed PC first, console second, I mean look at what happend to Deus Ex 2 and Bioshock, dumbed down versions of Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 2, because they were developed with consoles in mind, not PCs.

Quote:
Imo: when brilliant Coding minds like Carmack and whoever the minds are at Blizzard... die and go away... PC Gaming will have lost a lot. Our current generation of thieves and copiers and noncoders are not going to keep up the tradition of what PC Gaming has been in the past (and I'm talking 2000<).... look at the mess the current generation has made of PC Gaming in a matter of only a decade.
That will be a sad day in PC gaming history, and you're right, people learning to be a programmer now, will likely never care about PC as a gaming platform, so once the great PC devs die out, we wont really have anything good to look forward to :/
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote