View Single Post
Old 06-18-09, 03:05 PM   #78
Protoplasym

Post Re: Doom 4 30FPS cap (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomizer View Post
A. I used to like UT, but yeah its as you said, I never really played it that much, I was really into Quake MP, back in the day, but ever since Team Fortress, CTF, Counter-Strike etc, deathmatch, and even team deathmatch has lost its charm, and I know UT has some other game modes but I dunno, it obviously didnt hold me otherwise I would have bought it :P

B. IMO, some console shooters are best left there :P
But some definentely need to be on PC, but...not ported, developed PC first, console second, I mean look at what happend to Deus Ex 2 and Bioshock, dumbed down versions of Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 2, because they were developed with consoles in mind, not PCs.
A. Quake MP is still one of the best MP FPSs of all time imo... so solid, and looks fine... Quake 2/3 are just as badass but look even better. I played assloads of Quake MP during High School back in the late '90s... so much fun.

I'm still a huge CS fan... not so much of the Source version though... although I'm sure with enough playing I'd like it... I remember when the Source version came out, the guns didn't feel the same, and Valve had changed up the hit boxes quite a bit... maybe it's fixed now, dunno. I never did take off to TeamFortress, I liked the idea of multiple classes working together towards a common goal/yada, but just didn't get into it... the Source version is pretty badass though. Did you ever play Action for HL1? That was some of the best DM ever! Doing dives and breaking through windows and the weapons and the Akimbo pistols... man, that one was badass... I wonder if there's a Source version of that nowadays... surely there is, lol. Honestly, HL1 was my favorite DM ever... guts everywhere, mass insanity, completely unique and badass maps like Gasworks, and the one that had the Nuke that would go off every 10-15 mins... was so fun for about a year until the cheaters completely ruined it... same BS happened to CS.

Cheating from that point on is what's kept me from becoming interested in MP 'ever' again... EXCEPT for Warcraft 3, because I know I can count on Blizzard to constantly patch the game to fix exploits by the sh*theads at large. I'll never understand why people cheat at MP games.... useless MFers!

B. Dunno... I'd love to have those ummm... Killzone games to name a couple (they look like solid Linear Railride shooters), that one that started with the word, 'time'... exclusive for PS3.. I guess that one'd fit in my collection as well, lol.. even though the reviews weren't that good. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to collecting games you see. Halo 2/3 for XP would be cool. Can't think of any others, ha.

'Deus Ex 2' - I've got both of them: I read that part 2 is a "dumbed down version" of the first one... "less RPG elements" er somethin... 1 looks like it's gonna be totally kickass (15 mins of testing, V-Sync+AA work), 2 has even better graphics and some physics to it so that looked promising as hell during my 15 mins of testing... as long as it's got 'some' RPG elements, I'll be satisfied.

I'm not sure what you don't like about Bioshock... it's one of my top 5 FPSs of all time... hands down 'the' best Plot Twist I've ever seen in a game imo, beyond immersive/scary atmosphere/feelings of being totally alone/etc, fantastic control (thanks to the quality U3 Engine), I'll be playing that one again and again for life... same will go for 2 and 3 I'm sure. 2 looks like it's going to be just as amazing if not even cooler.

I've read sooo much about System Shock II (don't have it in my collection yet, but will as soon as I see a decent price for one sealed... not paying bloody $60-70 on Ebay for it) and how it's one of the best games of all time for story and atmosphere. Seen plenty of Youtube vids and it looks very spooky especially considering how freaky the 'oldschool lookin' models appear. Too bad it's got the same 'horrid' history as Thief 2 as far as 'QuadCore compatibility' goes.

I have Thief II and 'still' haven't been able to get it to run properly... I've got a mod/fix bookmarked that was toted to work specifically for the 169.21s I'm on... have yet to try it though... I spent the better part of Jan-Mar '08 trying to get that damn thing to work. The messed up thing is that the first time I loaded it up, it ran beautifully, V-sync/AA worked, shadows were correct, no weird sky textures (as I read so much about)... but since that first boot up, all kinds of sh*te... won't load up, or crashes as soon as I start the game...

Sucks because I expect System Shock II to be the same story. I've got another machine with a fast SingleCore and an old 68GT, and I'm sure they'd both work on there... but until I've given up completely: I won't go that route. I've still got that one fix (it's actually for both Thief 2 and SS II) bookmarked/waiting to be tried, so hopefully all is not lost, lol.

anyhoot
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

280 Legit Games installed

(2) 500 GB drives
(1) 80 GB drive (houses the OS only)
Protoplasym is offline   Reply With Quote