View Single Post
Old 06-25-09, 06:33 AM   #3
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Default Re: Is there a way to monitor whether a user copied a certain file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48 View Post
I have alot of important financial files that need to be kept track of and another user is going to be working on my network. They will be reading and writing to these files but I want to know if there is a way to monitor whether the user copies the files so that I can be made aware. Is there anything that can do this?

I've done research and there are programs that will notify you if a user accesses/modifies/deletes the files but theres nothing that explicitly states copies because the users are going to be working on the files so those options really aren't going to help.

any ideas/thoughts?
First, copying a file (i.e.) will update the file access date time. Second, you should setup the appropriate ACLs (Access control list) on the files/directories and activate the windows audit logs (Local policies), instead of passively monitoring who dun what.

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote