Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat
So I know alot of you have gotten to try Windows 7..... I have already and although it seems great... I'm really dissapointed that they didnt' add some simple things that should have been there all along.
1. Virtual Drive mounting .... why isn't this included? it's super useful... I like to create .iso images of all my games so that I can load them without farting around with finding CDs.... yes they're legit cds too.
2. Native .rar support. Come on now... you all have to admit that it's horribly inconvenient to grab a seperate program (winrar) to open up .rar files... the built in unzipper is a joke these days.
3. Virtual Desktops - Anyone that uses a linux system knows how valuable these are... I know there's mods out there to do that to your windows desktop but FFS build it in.
4. Built in SSH and SFTP support - Once again, linux users know how frustrating it is to go from a linux shell to a windows one and have to get putty / psftp to be able to do things that are built into free operating systems... (Yes, they're both free too... but why can't Microsoft create it's own implementation)
5. The top 4 things would make me very happy..... I know I'm dreaming but a built in virtual machine software would be pro... just simply amazing
Really though, seperate programs exist for everything I mentioned (mostly free)... even if they're not with Microsoft's wallet you could either design your own or gobble up the smaller companies and integrate it in....
They made a step in the right direction with the inclusion of being able to burn .iso images. But it won't let me do some... seems to only work on cd iso images right now.
I don't understand why you are complaining about these things when they are all free programs and they work perfectly. Most of these things have builtin menus that you can access if you right-click (WinRAR, PowerISO (not free), D-Tools, etc.).
The only benefit of these things being included is saving the 5 minutes it takes to install these tools.
And you can rip your game CD's and mount them. The problem is you have to circumvent the disc protection. It's possible, but it violates the DMCA and can't be discussed here.
And LOL @ your last few sentences. Yea MS buying up these companies would really help their constant legal troubles with anti-trust and monopoly lawsuits.