View Single Post
Old 07-12-09, 10:51 AM   #15
LurkerLito

Default Re: Some bad news, About Win7 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
So can I upgrade my Windows 7 RC7100 to Windows 7 Pro since its activated?
Yes apparently that is fine. Which IMO just sounds nuts, they gave everyone a free copy of win7 RC and you can upgrade that with an upgrade disc. But lets say that was your only OS you have now and then you need to reinstall a year from now, you can't install RC7100 anymore cause you can't activate it anymore, so your upgrade disc is useless. Even if you make a disk image of your current HD with the activated RC on it, if you changed your hardware enough that the system thinks the activation isn't valid anymore what do you do then?

I think it will all boil down to does the installed copy just have to be present on the HD with the "valid activation flag" in place, or does the upgrade disc actually go out to MS' servers to verify the activation on the disc is valid. If it's the latter there will be a ton of people in a few months time that will be having issues with the upgrade discs.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote