View Single Post
Old 07-12-09, 01:14 PM   #16
ViN86

Default Re: Some bad news, About Win7 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
This is really stupid...if this does not change by time they are about to release windows 7 i am going to cancel my preorder and maybe get the OEM version down the road when i really need it.

i was not really in a rush to upgrade anyway but with that price i figured who could pass up on it
Seriously? You reinstall the OS that often?

To be honest, I don't think this is a big deal at all. I am surprised they didn't do this with Vista. With WGA, all the tools were in place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
Yes apparently that is fine. Which IMO just sounds nuts, they gave everyone a free copy of win7 RC and you can upgrade that with an upgrade disc. But lets say that was your only OS you have now and then you need to reinstall a year from now, you can't install RC7100 anymore cause you can't activate it anymore, so your upgrade disc is useless. Even if you make a disk image of your current HD with the activated RC on it, if you changed your hardware enough that the system thinks the activation isn't valid anymore what do you do then?

I think it will all boil down to does the installed copy just have to be present on the HD with the "valid activation flag" in place, or does the upgrade disc actually go out to MS' servers to verify the activation on the disc is valid. If it's the latter there will be a ton of people in a few months time that will be having issues with the upgrade discs.
If you have a legal copy of XP or Vista you can make an image of that install, then restore that image before you install Win7. You can re-activate that too if you change your hardware. Even if you have the OEM version, just call MS and they will give you a code to activate (I have done it before).

I doubt many people are going from Linux to Windows 7, so the odds are really good that they have a copy of XP or Vista unless they pirated it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote