View Single Post
Old 07-12-09, 11:48 PM   #39
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: Top 5 things you'd love to see in Windows 7

So... to the person who mentiond they wouldn't support .rar because there's no profit because they'd have to license it... how about just support to READ them... or hell, make a .zip file able to be compressed into abritary installments (like .rar files) and also to rework the compression algorithm to make it more effecient both on space and compression time (.rar by far beats .zip files currently)

.zip2

... it sure is a crazy thought though that microsoft would do something purely because PAYING customers wish for it to be included.... free distributions of operating systems have it added simply because people get tired of not having it.

Also... is there anything particularly illegal about being able to backup and mount a drive image (.iso) ? I'm pretty sure something as open-ended as that wouldn't land microsoft in trouble... It's ridiculously useful for system administrators to be able to create their own external hard-drive of cds in .iso formats to go to new machines that were just re-imaged so that they can be loaded with all the software they need... yes there's other ways to do it but really these are all super useful things that microsoft ignores.

just today i was at my friends on his macbook pro.... pull up the terminal and type ssh <username>@<server> and connect to my school to load up a program.... on my new netbook i had to go and grab putty, and also go out and grab xming and xming fonts just to be able to do the same thing.... see my point? (NO this isn't a mac vs windows thread.... i hate macs but the fact that their origins are in the UNIX world is useful)
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m