View Single Post
Old 07-13-09, 09:52 AM   #28
Ghosthunter

Default Re: Some bad news, About Win7 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yes you still need to have an activated version of Windows. In-place installs can only be performed if you upgrade from a version of vista to a compatible version of Win7 (ie Vista Ultimate to Win7 Ultimate). If the versions do not match, then you need to do a clean install, but the activated version of Windows (vista or XP) is still required to perform the upgrade.

Correct. The "in-place" upgrade, which leaves your programs and files in place can only be performed for the following combinations:

Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

This is taken from MS's Win 7 Upgrade site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...grade-faq.aspx

If you are not going in this order (for example, I am going from Vista Ultimate to Win7 HP), then you have to do a clean install. It will place your old install in a Windows.Old folder and install Windows 7 fresh.

But from what i understand once you perform the upgrade your previous versions of Vista key becomes deactivate and you cannot use the key anymore...so that means you cannot use it and if you have to reinstall, how would you do it? since you cannot install vista and activate it, let alone the inconvenience of doing that and time consumption

at this point i will wait until around end of September if they have not changed it will cancel and then wait a while and order an OEM full install of windows 7 when I get a new machine, this way too much of a pain in the ass
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote