View Single Post
Old 07-16-09, 01:23 AM   #1
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Default Who's making the switch to Windows 7?

BTW, there should be a Windows 7 forum section here.

So who's making the switch and what are you switching from?

I skipped Vista completely cause there was nothing compelling me to switch from my trusty XP Pro. Just wasn't anything there that particularly attracted me. Direct X 10 wasn't a good enough reason for me and has turned out to be a bust as far as I'm concerned. I still don't feel I've missed anything playing my games without it. Direct X 11 looks promising but my vid card can't do that anyway.

Started thinking about Windows 7 and about finally trying out 64 bit so decided to take the plunge and did the pre-order (upgrade Win7 Pro at the special price). At least I won't be accused of being a dinosaur anymore. The tweaking side of me is looking forward to it in a way but I'm also apprehensive about possible programs I may not be able to use anymore that I still really like and don't want to do without. Everything I use on my computer is still very important to me and there is nothing on it that I do not want. Hopefully that "XP Mode" thing will take care of any program compatibility issues. Will have to see what's in store for me there. To tell the truth, I could still hang on to XP Pro for a couple more years and still be quite happy (don't see any games in that time that I would be suffering playing with what I have now). More out of curiosity than anything else, I'm going to try out something new to see what's on the other side.

Hopefully the Windows 7 experience will be one of those, "dude what the hell took you so long" deals like it was when I finally switched from Windows 98 to XP.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote