View Single Post
Old 07-17-09, 06:50 PM   #2
K-1

Default Re: Steam Weekend Deal (7/17) - Brothers in Arms 50-60% off!

I bought both Road to Hill 30 and Earned In Blood on release day, so I hope you will give it some consideration when I say that I really don't recommend either of those two games.

RtH 30 suffers from terrible AI (enemy soldiers would basically never move unless scripted to), same-y level design (you see the same pieces of cover repeated constantly through the game), and a game design that felt more like a puzzle game than a tactical war game (there is almost always just one successful way to flank the enemy, and when you do flank the enemy there is always a very convenient log or something to hide behind so you can safely shoot the enemy in the bum).

EiB was better; enemy AI actually responded to your actions and level designs felt more natural and open. There was still, however, a lot of recycled elements from the first game. Certainly an improvement over RtH30 though.

With Hell's Highway, however, Gearbox nailed the gameplay. Enemy AI is responsive, level design feel natural and open, the weapons perform much better; I mean just overall it really feels like you're commanding a squad in the field and having to constantly adjust tactics to respond to the situation (as opposed to the first two games where it felt more like you simply needed to figure out the 'trick' to winning). Definitely the best game in the series though I must say that the story and the cut scenes are some of the most hilariously over-dramatic things I have ever seen.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote