View Single Post
Old 10-01-03, 08:40 AM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 35
Default Nvidia driver, redhat 9

Okay, I did a bit of snooping around, and in the end I don't think this is really a problem with the card (well, not from my end at least), but rather possibly a problem with the driver?

I am really tearing my hair out in frustration here, and I sincerely hope some of you more knowlegdable fellows might be able to help me out (please!).

(my machine
abit kt7a
amd t-bird 1333 Mhz
Belkin usb2.0
WD Caviar 80 GB
384 MB RAM
PNY Geforcefx 5600 Ultra

(short) background:
My machine has been working fine with my old gf2pro and the nvidia drivers for a few months now. Then i decide to upgrade the card to the 5600 ultra.
I grab the latest nvidia drivers, pop in the new card, install the new drivers, change my XF86Config around, and reboot.

Now here is the part where I am ready to break down and start weeping like a little girl.
The system *SOMETIMES* works with the nvidia drivers. But I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem might be. For the first 50 tries, I would boot the system with no errors (neither in the X log). I would log in, and start using KDE. After about 1-5 minutes the display just locks up solid. mouse moves, i can still ssh into the machine. but the display is locked solid. also, i cannot alt-ctrl-backspace or alt-ctrl-f1 out of the display...

This seems to be semi-dependant on what I am doing in the display at the moment. Like if I log in and dont run anything on the display, it will just hum along no problem. as soon as i start opening windows, problems. (it especially hates gkrellm for some reason).

So I start changing my XF86Config around a little. nothing big, but tried using the NVAgp option instead of agpart (no luck there), or possibly trashing my XF86Config and having the machine write a new one for me.

So a couple of days ago, it worked. I dont know what was done differently, but the $%# thing worked. Worked like a charm. Ran like a champ. I was ecstatic.

Until I rebooted.

Now yesterday i rebooted, and here I am again. #*%#$%@ lockups. I am almost at the end of my rope. Especially because last night I managed to get it working again! Fiddled with XF86Config again. And it worked. I don't get it. As I recall, I changed to the nv driver and there were no problems. So i was fishing for some answers to my problems on the nvidia site forum. On a whim I decided to try the nvidia drivers one last time before bed, and it worked.

Then on reboot this morning, it didnt. now i am once AGAIN back to square one, and even more ticked off than before.

Is there anyone out there willing to take some time out and lend me a hand finding the root of this problem? I seriously dont want to return the card or give up on nvidia, but i gotta have my 3d!

Thanks all!
(i am at work at the moment, and as such am not in front of my machine. i can post my current XF86Config at lunch if anyone thinks it might help...)
Je ne sais RIEN!
pdavid is offline   Reply With Quote