View Single Post
Old 07-28-09, 09:46 AM   #1
antjoh

Default Unrecoverable Kernel Oops when launching X on 9400M (ION)

Hello,

I have a Zotac IONITX-B mother board with the Nvidia GeForce 9400M chipset. Whenever I try to launch X with the nvidia module it results in a kernel Oops and X is unusable.

As soon as I try to load X (xorg-server 1.6.2) the pc crashes with a kernel Oops. The pc is equipped with 4Gb of DDR2 800Mhz RAM. No other perhiperals are used except for one wifi usb dongle and a usb keyboard. The pc is hooked up to a 40" lcd tv via HDMI. The distro of choice is Arch Linux.

This is what I have done so far to try pin pointing the problem:

* Installed the nvidia package from the ArchLinux repositories = results in kernel Oops when trying to run X.
* unistalled the ArchLinux nvidia package and installed the driver available on the nvidia website (the .run file) = results in kernel Oops when trying to run X.
* Removed one stick of ram and tested each stick individually on both slots on the motherboard = results in kernel Oops on all tries when trying to run X.
* Installed xf86-video-vesa from the ArchLinux repositories and used that module in xorg.conf = results in no kernel Oops and a well working X environment.

My xorg.conf is very minimal as it depends on HAL to detect what needs to be loaded.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this behaviour?

I tried to run the nvidia-bug-report script but it hangs and probably doesn't provide a full report.
Hopefully you can make something out of the logs I have attached and provide me with a solution to this problem.

Many thanks!
Best regards
Anton Johanson
Attached Files
File Type: log dmesg.log (30.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (22.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (334 Bytes, 136 views)
antjoh is offline   Reply With Quote