View Single Post
Old 07-31-09, 06:40 AM   #15
pakotlar

Default Re: EQ2 Shader 3.0 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
I did not say that. I said this game was built to be backwards compatible with a wide range of hardware. And that 1.1 was its baseline code and that all hardware ran that baseline code. When a developer builds a game. They have to program for what they feel is smallest base use at the time. The engine is now 4 years old. If they were doing it now they wouldnt even support DX 8.0 cards. All I said was the Shader implementation that was in EQ had nothing to do with why EQ 2 performed bad at the time. All the reasons EQ 2 had performance issues on geforce 6/7 cards are now gone in the latest build of EQ 2. And the shader model baseline has not changed any.

Nope. I think I wasn't clear enough when I said I did not care about how the X800 performed in this game. Or how the X800 compared to the Geforce 6 period. I could argue for hours about how the Geforce 6/7 series performed verses the X800 and the benefits/downsides of such a decision. But once again. I don't care. And its pointless discussion about hardware no one would buy today. So please. I am begging you. Spare me the X800/Geforce 6 debate,. I could give a crap about it.

Sorry. But if you felt duped by Sony or Nvidia's marketing here then you were a victom of wishful thinking. Sony never once advertised that EQ 2 was a SM 3.0 game. Sony called EQ 2 a "Next Generation MMORPG". And there are many ways that "next" gen could be interpretted. Sony simply said that the game was built with future hardware in mind. And hardware has progressed alot and its definately helped the game run better.
I could give a crap about it this whole debate. You mentioned a couple of things which were incorrect, I pointed them out. I really don't want to argue with you over whatever it is you're trying to say.

To be honest I'm not really interested on your views about what developers target when they make games. I was speaking specifically about your Sm 3.0 and Geforce 6 comment, which was flat out bs, and some of the things you posted after. Its a public forum, so when you make an assertion based on nothing but your personal opinion you should expect to get called on it.

And I didn't feel duped at all. A lot of other people did though, which you've mentioned yourself over and over again. I never wrote that Sony advertised EQ 2 as anything. I said nvidia advertised it. Thanks, having this kind of debate with you is really pointless.

About your thoughts on the matter. Chris, I'm getting the feeling that its not just the stuff you posted then that's meaningless.