View Single Post
Old 10-02-03, 09:23 AM   #47
Ruined

Quote:
Originally posted by sxotty
I thought the nv3x hardware is borked it cannot do HDR ever.
That's the assumption, but Nvidia might be able to pull something out of their ass. Also, lets wait and see how well ATI runs it in actual gameplay.

Quote:
This is a good thing b/c it allows the poor saps that have these cards to play,
I don't consider myself a poor sap. The games I am playing right now run better on Nvidia cards, or run just as good on either hardware (Neverwinter Nights, Anarchy Online, Tron 2.0, BridgeIt, Warcraft3, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc). I'm not even buying Half Life 2 for the PC, I'm getting for XBOX since that's what all my friends who play online have.

Quote:
what Nvidia should do is admit what they did, they should put up a list of what was replaced and say, "This is not a valid comparison for benchmarking purposes, but we wanted to give our users the best experience possible on their cards even if valve didn't"
Why should they do that? Reviewers can put up IQ comparisons and let the reader judge for themselves if they see a difference. It's not a 'valid comparison' from the start regardless of what the drivers do because the NV3x and R3xx architecture are both vastly different and need to be optimized differently from the start; hence a truly 100% no-bones about it 'valid comparison' is impossible - heck, you can't even get them to use the same shader precision.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote