View Single Post
Old 08-06-09, 01:05 AM   #144
jgebis

Default Re: VDPAU testing tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post
Well, I've given up on it.

I've verified that Powermizer is running the GPU at 650MHz, the CPU is set to a minimum of 2.0GHz and I still get poor results. In fact, using Coolbits and overclocking the GPU produces no significant difference in the results.

So I think there's a bottleneck here somewhere preventing VDPAU from reaching it's full potential. On an aside, the 7300 I have in it now performs just as well as the 9800 for XvMC, and even the onboard Intel graphics performs remarkably well. So I'm back to the 7xxx series Geforce and the 9800 goes back to the retailer.
I've also got an EVGA 9800 GT, performing almost exactly the same as yours. Running debian, x86_64, on a Phenom II X3 720 (2.8 GHz). glxgears is fast, deinterlacer numbers are high, but video decoding numbers are low -- and thus vdpau doesn't work well in mythtv. This looks like the same problem jyavenard had with a 9800GT as well. Processor is at its max speed (also tried with clock scaling disabled in BIOS), PowerMizer showing that the card is running at max speed, but still no luck on decoding. Are these cards buggy? Is there some driver issue?

Is there anyone that's had this issue, and then gotten a different card that worked well (either a different 9800GT, or a completely different model)? If a different card fixes my problem, I would be happy to switch, but I don't want to buy another card on the off chance it might work.
jgebis is offline   Reply With Quote