View Single Post
Old 08-15-09, 09:55 PM   #33
pakotlar

Default Re: New RAGE Trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikinher View Post
I disagree with this. They may have been around for a long time, but they lost what they had before Doom 3. Doom 3, Quake 4 and Quake Wars were failures. Even the next Wolfenstein looks to continue that trend, judging from the leaked videos online.

While they sure know how to build engines, they don't know how to make games. Rage looks good, but ID still hasn't seem to evolve. What do you expect from guys like ID who still use 2D sky boxes and low polygon counts by today's standards?
Definetely not failures, but I'd agree that ID isn't really relevant anymore as far as games are concerned. Quake 4 was made by Raven btw. Doom 3 was a good game, but very simple mechanics.

I see ID like I see Croteam with regards to gameplay mechanics, except ID's games are much darker, more "serious" har har. They have an opportunity to break out of the past, into developer primacy with Rage & Doom 4, however it is very possible that these latest releases will show that there are many cobwebs obfuscating their view of game trends and gamers' desires.