View Single Post
Old 08-22-09, 02:34 AM   #7
sharangad

Default Re: 32 or 64 bit for my Laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
I would go with the 64bit. Afaik 64bit in no way means things are bigger or takes more resources, and in all case (provided its actually a good build) the 64bit one should perform better.

If you have a 64 bit cpu, dont hold it back with a 32bit os.
x86-64 unlike other 64 bit architectures allows instructions to remain 32 bits wide (reduces code bloat) and allows an app to use a combination of 32 and 64 bit data reads per fetch ( reduces memory bloat).

Having said that I haven't seen even a single 64 bit app for x86-64 which is smaller or the same size as the 32 bit version. It's almost always larger, whether you're talking about a Linux distro or even Windows 7, the 64 bit version is always larger. In the case of Win 7 I don't know whether this is casused by the 64 bit version including some apps in both 32 and 64 bit flavours (i.e. IE and WMP). However it's always larger.

For instance Win 7 Pro 64 bit requires 20 GB of free disk space and Win 7 Pro 32 bit only requires 16 GB. 64 bit apps could run faster as there're twice as many registers as in 32 bit mode for 32 bit operations, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will.
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote