View Single Post
Old 09-24-02, 05:00 PM   #1
gordon

Angry NVIDIA !!! Please take note.

OK. Deep breath.

I have had 3dfx cards since 3dfx cards first came out, and despite the odd wobble the drivers have always improved with each release and have had good functionality. This is the standard by which I judge drivers from other companies.

One of my PCs has a Ti4600. Nice card, no complaints there. Excellent drivers too, improve with every release (the 40.52s crash Medievel Total War and Shogun but I am sure that will be fixed in the next release).

My beef is the FUNCTIONALITY of the aforementioned said drivers. Nvidia is a big grown-up company now and it's time it trusted it's customers with a little functionality in the drivers.

Example: I want to turn vsync off in D3D. Can I? No. Not unless I use a third party utility or reg hack like in Coolbits. WHY NOT NVIDIA? Reward your customers with this small offering PLEASE.

Worse Example: My desktop brightness is fine, but D3D and OpenGl games are so dark I can hardly see what is happening on the screen. Solution? Turn up the brightness? No, if I do that the desktop is blindingly bright. I have to use a third party utility, powerstrip, to adjust the brightness in D3D and OpenGl otherwise the card is useless. 3DFX, God rest their souls, provided seperate brightness/gamma sliders for desktop, D3D and OpenGl in their driver utilities. Do Nvidia? No! Why not? Is it too much to ask?

Come on Nvidia, you can do this. Don't make us use third party utilities just to be able to use the card.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote