View Single Post
Old 08-27-09, 09:17 PM   #1
frunobulax

Exclamation GeForce9600 + Linux = Problems (Resolution issue) | Can't make it higher than 640X480

Hello there. I just registered, but I have for like 4 months a GeForce 9600GT - and I'm quite satisfied with it. Great job by nVidia...

Works like a charm with Windows 7 and Windows XP in my AOC 2230fh, a 22" monitor with a native resolution of 1680X1050. But on Linux, the situation is not good.

Well, here it is. I just did another fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04. So, the default video driver (VESA, i guess) is loaded and it detected my resolution as being 1680X1050. All OK. But I want to use nVidia drivers, for Compiz and other stuff. But, when I install them by any method - from the System > Admin > Hardware Drivers (don't know if it's the exact path in English, I'm using the portuguese version, but it's the menu where I can activate an official nVidia driver) or by manually downloading it from nVidia's website and then using nvidia-xconfig - the resolution becomes 640X480, and no configuration at xorg.conf seems to resolve it. I tried setting hsync and vsync accordingly to my monitor's specifications, tried only showing 1680X1050 as possible resolutions, nothing worked, 640X480 is the "best" nVidia can offer. Actually I can choose between it and 320X240.

A week ago, I got another monitor, a little AOC 1619Swa, 15,6" and native 1366X768 resolution. Ubuntu detected it and managed to deliver it's right resolution out-of-the-box! But the 2230 is still stopped at 640X480.

My actual Ubuntu is still using VESA, I'm ready to try and install nVidia again. But first I wanna check some feedback here, if someone heard about this issue.

I have this xorg.conf right now:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection "Display"
        Virtual    3046 1117
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
So, anything I should do before activating the nVidia driver?
frunobulax is offline   Reply With Quote