View Single Post
Old 09-09-09, 01:05 PM   #5
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Re: 2TB+ addressable with Windows 7 x86?

Quote:
You'll need an EFI based BIOS and just about any 64-bit OS for that.
No, my question is about using the x86 version, that's the 32bit one, My media and gaming needs doesn't really force me to move to a 64bit environment, except for the fact I just want to know if it could be possible to have a JBOD (RAID is completely out of scope in this case as it would be a JBOD USB drive, like the Avolusion one, not internal drives).

About EFI, don't really know... my machine is a Shuttle SN78SH7 barebone for AM2+, 4GB DDR2-1066 RAM installed, a 500GB Seagate SATA2 drive, NVIDIA 9800GT GPU, and a TV Tuner card from Hauppauge, so it's my media center and gaming machine and it's currently running Windows 7 x86 (32bit) edition.

Ideally, I would like to avoid the x64 edition (I don't really care about it being more stable or whatever, my video encoding app (TMPGEnc XPress) doesn't work in a 64bit environment and the Flash plug-in doesn't have a 64bit native binary, enough to be a showstopper for me), so I would like to try make it work on 32bit.

If it's not possible, it's ok, I could still buy <2TB drives and enclose it in a USB box, if it's possible I could get an Avolusion unit or something similar and make a bigger array, hence my question :P

Julio
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote