View Single Post
Old 09-14-09, 09:45 PM   #8
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Default Re: phenom x4 955 --> low frame rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I do apologize, but that can't be farther from the truth.

I've not owned a PhII myself, but I did own a PhenomX4 9600 BE back in the day. Ran it for a while, and then went on to a Q6600. And here within a month (hopefully) I'll be rocking an i7 920. But bluntly put, my old Phenom X4 9600 wasn't noticably slower than my Q6600... both were always at stock clocks. Never oc'd either of them. Granted, had I oc'd the Q6600 it probably would have then proven to faster, how much remains unknown. But then the comparison wouldn't be fair (comparing an oc'd Q6600 to a stock-clocked 9600BE is far from fair). And honestly speaking, I'm not expecting the i7 920 to appear all that much faster than my Q6600.

Any person that claims the original Phenom and the Phenom II are slow CPUs clearly has no experience with either... at least no extensive experience, or they are incredibly biased. Heck, I just built a brand new rig for my older sister. It's sporting a PheomII X2 550 BE and that is one snappy little rig. Rockin' 3 Gigs of RAM on Vista HP x64 using on-board video. She doesn't do any gaming. Very basic stuff (surfing web, e-mail, small photo/video collection, no music), but it excels at all the she does. And since it's AM3 she has a lot of upgrade options down the road.

Not trying to single you out or anything, just wanting to correcting an improper assumption you've seemed to make. Anything recent from both Intel and AMD seems to be rather speedy for basic day to day functions.
Hey Redeemed, you really can't put to much stock into what this guy says. He's a Nvidia/Intel fanboy who trolls most threads not contributing much fact about a particular topic. I totally agree with you about the Phenom II CPU's. My current rig has the X3 720, oc"d to 3.6GHz on air....yes on air, and it flies. Best bang for the buck anywhere.

I've found Phenom CPU's to be reasonably priced, fast and stable, and overall a very good value. The "high end" Intels are the "fastest", but Phenoms are NOT slow by any stretch.

Kapt
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Last edited by kaptkarl; 09-14-09 at 09:47 PM. Reason: mis-spelling