View Single Post
Old 09-17-09, 03:04 AM   #8
Rambetter

Default Re: Instability of NVIDIA drivers on Linux 64 bit - thoughts?

OK I was able to reproduce the problem. I am attaching both:
1. The log generated by nvidia-bug-report.sh.
2. The NVIDIA installer log, even though I did not have any problems installing the driver.

Here are some facts:

- With this particular nvidia-bug-report.log.gz:
* Was running ioquake3, everything froze up (keyboard and mouse unresponsive), and audio started cycling.
* Xorg process consuming 100% CPU as reported by top.
* Unable to recover without rebooting computer.
* I logged in via SSH to generate bug report log and to clean things up afterwards.

- The 3D appliations that I'm using are GtkRadiant (http://www.qeradiant.com/cgi-bin/tra...ki/ZeroRadiant) and ioquake3 (http://ioquake3.org/). Both seem to be causing crashes, When I run only Radiant the desktop freezes every few hours. I compiled both of these softwares myself, for 64 bit, on this very same machine.

- For this attached log, I shut down /etc/init.d/gdm and then ran "startx -- -logverbose 6" from the terminal to generate the bug report.

- When grub first boots my kernel, I get a message like this one across my screen:
"[ 0.512146] PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:80000@e0000000 for 0000:0f:00.0".
I don't know if this is related to the graphics card instability or not.

- All Debian Lenny updates have been applied.

- Using latest NVIDIA production release drivers, I have not tried anything older.

- Kernel is 2.6.26-2-amd64 (Debian Lenny, vanilla).

- My HP Z400 has an up-to-date BIOS (786G3 v01.14 rev.A).

- On the HP support website there were some BIOS downloads for some video cards, but not for my Quadro FX3800.

- I have NOT tried booting with "clocksource=hpet".
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (43.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (30.3 KB, 94 views)
Rambetter is offline   Reply With Quote