Thread: Windows 7
View Single Post
Old 09-20-09, 12:28 AM   #16
Redeemed

Default Re: Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker View Post
We are not disagreeing as much as you seem to think. I never said anything that should have been construed as meaning that MS shouldn't have designed for the future, only that they should have been designed better for the state of technology at the time. I don't believe that future technology is all that much of a mystery to MS, and current technology of the time certainly wasn't.

I only entered the computer age during the W98 days, and while I'm certain that many of my problems then was due to my own ignorance, I'm equally certain that a very large percentage wasn't. I am of the mindset that when any product, cyberwise or not is defective, that the consumers shouldn't have to pay for entirely new product, which has as many defects as the previous one...just different ones.

Since W7 is reasonably good, it makes me wonder what the next Windows version will offer? Maybe the technology can finally set out on a road that will at least approximate something somewhat akin to what is envisioned in Sci-Fi...not that that would be desirable in all aspects.
lol- the problem with Win9x is the architecture it was built upon. For it's time it was decent, but also left much to be desired.

Maybe my view is skewed compared to yours because I first started on DOS 3.1, then progress through DOS 6.22, then Windows 3.1, then all version of 95, 98, ME, 2k, XP, Vista, and now 7. Windows 98 was a nice change from DOS + Windows 3.1 IMO. Heck, Windows95 was a welcome change. Things were so much easier to do, IMO of course. Granted, back then I wasn't doing any thing professional- mostly gaming. But still, much easier to just double-click the icon on your desktop instead of having to enter a string of commands at C:\. To eliminate that I remember creating batch files. So all I had to type was <app-name>.bat and it'd perform all the commands for me. Batch files were so awesome back then!

Anyhow, way off topic, my bad. Even with all the headaches 98 created, it solved so many that was just an every-day part of DOS and Windows 3.1. As much as I miss the days of DOS, I'm also glad to be beyond them now.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote