View Single Post
Old 09-29-09, 02:16 PM   #57
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saboya View Post
This has been said numerous times, but I'll go ahead and say it again because it's just true:
The number of Windows users exceed the number of Linux users by a very large margin, thus, it's no surprise a company invests much more resources into making the Windows drivers flawless rather than the Linux drivers.

Besides, while this may be surprising, Linux graphics driver development is much harder than Windows. Constant changes in APIs, different kernel and X server versions, poor third-party software that makes it hard to interact, etc etc... It's impossible to reproduce every testing environment, while in Windows you don't have to worry about all that. It's just Windows.

Just face it: You never gonna get the level of support the Windows users have. You might as well not bash the devs and try to make your bug reports better so they can track and fix the problem faster.
But the Windows drivers certainly dropped in quality, too.

When I said the Linux drivers got too much pressure from too many new APIs, features and hardware that is nothing compared to the Windoze people who have both Direct3D and OpenGL, and had to adapt to both DX10 and Vista at the same time - and screwed up big. NVidia's reputation of having Windoze drivers that keep compatible with games outside today's top 10 sellers has taken a huge hit. From my point of view I see more problems in today's NVidia Linux drivers than I used to, but even from my limited exposure the Windows situation around NVidia's Vista drivers was an order of magnitude worse.

This isn't meant to defend Xorg in particular. These guys are really going on my nerves, as do other individual projects in the freedesktop.org family. I wish somebody had made a more sane fork of XFree86.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote