View Single Post
Old 09-30-09, 06:28 PM   #60
TheBlackCat

Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRogue View Post
1. KDE4 was released as pre-alpha quality, in fact KDE4 is still awful in terms of quality.
KDE 4 was released exactly as the developers said it was released, in a form intended only for developers and the most hard-core early adopters (a category I fall into). Some distributions chose to use it anyway. I used it any was quite happy with it, but I knew what to expect becauset I did at least a little bit of research before installing it so I know to expect a lot of bugs and missing features. The KDE devs said repeatedly that was what to expect.

As for the current quality, the impressions since KDE 4.2 have been very positive both from users and reviewers. KDE 4.3 is far better still, with pretty much unanimous positive reviews. A very small number of people consider 4.3 to be awful, but from everything I have seen this is a small minority opinion. That is not to say it is perfect, but no software is perfect.

Quote:
2. Qt needs serious work and help to improve it's GL support. For those that understand OpenGL and can read C++ code, just open up src/opengl/ in Qt source tree. It has improved significantly in the last 6 months, but it still has serious issues. Compounding the issue, is that the drawing API of Qt (QPainter) poorly maps to GL.
That's why Qt has said repeatedly that their opengl rendering system is still under heavy development, mostly broken, and not intended for use yet.

Quote:
With that in mind, seriously, if KDE4 works poorly there are obvious reasons: firstly KDE4 is still pretty bad, and secondly it uses some pretty odd ball usage patterns of GL.
The problem wasn't opengl support, that worked great. It was performance on simple 2D tasks like displaying text that was unusuably slow. And it wasn't just KDE, firefox had the same problems.

Quote:
Before KDE4 I used KDE always, but once KDE4 was the only KDE option in Fedora, I have dumped KDE completely for GNOME
I don't mean to be dismissive, but frankly that's your own fault for using KDE on a GNOME-centric distribution. If you want to use KDE you should use a distribution that has a reputation for good KDE support, like openSUSE, mandriva, or arch, all which still offer KDE 3.5. Fedora does not fall in that category, quite the opposite. If you want KDE 3.5 so badly it is still present on many distributions, although KDE 4.3 is really good and KDE 4.4 is already shaping up to be outstanding. Fedora and Kubuntu cared more about advertising that they had the latest bleeding-edge software than they cared about providing a usable desktop experience. Many other distributions chose to do what the KDE developers asked them to do and stick with KDE 3.5 until at least KDE 4.2, or offer both in parallel. KDE 4.3 can do pretty much everything KDE 3.5 could do and much, much more.
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote