View Single Post
Old 10-01-09, 04:25 PM   #3
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Default Re: 190.36: fried the DVI-D port on 9500GT card

Okay, I had time today to try various things with this card, and here's what the status is:

Sparkle 9500GT-1GB fanless PCIe16 graphics card:

-- both VGA and DVI-D outputs work fine in various other systems here.

But..

-- System will not POST with card in my HTPC and plugged into HDMI port #1 (via a DVI-D to HDMI cable) of the HDTV. Dead before the BIOS, no video signal. This is the port that was formerly in use when the driver update killed it.

-- System *does* POST and work normally with card in my HTPC and plugged into either of the other two HDMI ports on the HDTV. Heck, it even works with 190.36 in this configuration, too.

-- System works with HDMI port #1, if I hot unplug the HDMI cable (from ports #2 or #3) after booting and then replug it into port #1.

-- The HDTV HDMI port #1 works fine (boot or otherwise) with all other graphics cards here, including an ASUS 8400GS-512M Silent.

Quite the puzzle.. It's like the card's onboard BIOS remembers the devices it is/was connected to, and applies bad bootup settings to that one port now.

EDIT: More information:
-- The problem follows the video card: same card, in different system, exact same behaviour with the HDTV HDMI ports.
-- Same card, different DVI-D monitor, no problem.
-- Different card, same HDTV, no such issues.

????
mlord is offline   Reply With Quote