View Single Post
Old 10-04-09, 04:32 PM   #1
TaintedKernel
TaintedGNU

Default Suggestion KDE 4.3 rendering speedup 190.36

Hi all together.
I want to share my experience with the slow 2d part of the nvidia driver in the usability context of KDE 4.3. After almost trying anything to get a better, more snappier GUI experience. There is a acceptable KDE 4.3 setup for my preferences.
(I don't like the visibility of drawing-events when e.g. starting a new konqueror window (maybe in the order of milliseconds or laggy openoffice redraw, ...), so the only solution which eliminates that, was to use compiz. -But several problems like the resize-choppyness remained.)
I've found a good setting to get a even more (preliminary, till there a bugfixes by nvidia) faster 2d-setup for KDE 4.3 with Kwin.

everybody is welcome to try the settings:
xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 9800 GT"
###############
Option "NvAgp" "0"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "9000000"
Option "Coolbits" "4"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "true"
Option "AllowIndirectPixmaps" "true"
Option "AllowSHMPixmaps" "false"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "UseCompositeWrapper" "true"
#Option "UseEvents" "true" #disabled for 190 drivers!
Option "BackingStore" "on"
Option "DamageEvents" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
EndSection
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "on"
Option "RENDER" "true"
Option "DAMAGE" "true"
Option "MIT-SHM" "true"
EndSection

I written a startup script, that is doing the nvidia-setting at login:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1 -a PixmapCacheRoundSizeKB=1024

The essential thing is the setting of the Kwin window manager:
Composite type: XRender (really true, not the opengl setting!)

I've not experienced any more CPU usage, because of not using opengl for the window drawing (I guess that the RenderAccel option gets involved here?). Nevertheless it's the fastest 2d-rendering qualitatively tested and quantitatively verified with qgears2 and gtkperf.
The main point is that windows appears like a flash (completely drawn graphic elements) on the screen. The resize is as fast as on my notebook with an intel on metacity. (not a joke intel is a lame duck on 3d-part but the 2d is much better). Only when keep wildly resizing on for about 10...15 s it goes to down like we used to).

You can also test the more fluid behavior of qt4 elements e.g. when dragging a firstly detached playlist-window of the smplayer (keep playing on a movie) back into the main-window or by the text rendering in lyx and so on.

System keywords:
Hardware:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
RAM: 4 gibi
GPU: 9800 gt, 512 mibi

Software (openSUSE x64)
X-Server: 1.6.4 (10604000)
KDE: Version 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1) "release 162"
Driver: 190.36 (x64)
Kernel: Linux-x86_64 2.6.31.1 Kernel (custom baked: low latency Desktop preemption (no rt-patch), Tickrate 1000 Hz, and some other setting for the elephant SUSE; compiled with GCC 4.4)

Keep on working nvidia. We don't need such things like vdpau (unless it's working like a charm for me) but a good 2d composite speed. -Business before pleasure.
TaintedKernel is offline   Reply With Quote