View Single Post
Old 10-08-09, 11:56 AM   #5
JBDynamics

Question Re: (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension in GDM, startx loads fine

I have exactly the same problem. I have tried all the steps listed that edmondt has tried. I have reinstalled Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64 three times, and as soon as I install all my packages (including nvidia 180.44) KDM crashes right after the NVIDIA logo screen upon restart of the system after the updates and package install. Until I followed all of edmondt's steps, startx did not work, X did not work, and xinit did not work. I check the Xorg.0.log and it prints exactly the same errors as edmondt. I configured my xorg.conf to look just like edmondt's but with changes for my system (Asus G71G-Q1 12GB PC2-7500, 512MB GeForce 9800M GS, Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad Mobile 2.53GHz (QX9300).

kdm.log prints out the (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension.
With a MTRR Error Exiting with status (22) above the (EE) Failed to initialize GLX.

After reconfiguring my xorg.conf, I can use startx and it loads no problem. The thing is, I want KDM and Kubuntu, not Xfce desktop. I am attempting to install the gnome-desktop to check if I have the same problem loading GDM as I do KDM. I will post the results and error logs (if applicable) when it's finished installing.

I have an HP with a GeForce 9600 GT and a Dell with a GeForce 9600M GT and they have exactly the same packages installed as my Asus, and they both boot with no problems.

Somebody please help us!

Thanks in advance for your time, patience, and help.

Update:

I installed ubuntu-desktop meta-package, and it loads with no problems. I am going to reinstall all KDE related packages, and see if it boots up after that. I will update again after install and reboot.

Thanks again everyone willing to help us.
JBDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote