View Single Post
Old 10-08-03, 03:48 PM   #30
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally posted by puterguy
Not sure why you say setting refresh higher than 60Hz is "unwise". From your post, I can understand that it might be unnecessary for most tasks, but what could be "unwise" about it?
It causes all frequencies on the DVI interface to increase, possibly beyond the quite limited spec, and this can cause problems.

Quote:

From my understanding of physiology, people can detect frequencies higher than 60Hz in their peripheral vision so that the difference between 60 and 75Hz frame rates could make some difference under some scene conditions.
This is true in the context of refresh rate as seen on CRT displays, where the picture actually flickers with the refresh frequency. But LCDs do not do that.

Quote:
The bottom line is that both the nVidia card and the LCD monitor I bought claim to support 75Hz rates. I am just trying to get those specs to work.

Your idea of checking under windoze is interesting, though (fortunately) I rarely if ever need to reboot my Linux computer and haven't used Windoze on it in almost 6 months. Maybe someone else can test whether Windoze is delivering a 75Hz frame rate.
First make sure that the LCD really can run at 75Hz with the resolution that you have planned. Specs are often optimistic and not referring to the case that you are considering.
I don't know the panel that you have bought, but I can assure you that the Dell systems we use at work, running under Windows, which offer a selection of refreshrates when a CRT is connected, only allow 60Hz when an LCD is attached. This is true for both 15" and 17" LCDs of several different generations.
Apparently the device spec files of the LCD displays only allow 60Hz. And these screens don't flicker.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote