The Microsoft Device Experience Development Kit provides information and material you need to know to develop Device Stage experiences for eligible devices.
Device Stage provides a new way for users to interact with eligible devices in Windows 7. It includes a visual interface that makes it easy for customers to find and use applications and services for their devices. Device Stage also provides a multifunction version of AutoPlay for certain eligible devices. Device makers that develop device experiences for Device Stage use a new set of XML schemas to specify rich branding and customization of the interface, including defining custom tasks to install software and links to services. Device makers can update their custom Device Stage experiences by submitting updates to Microsoft for distribution across the Internet to PCs running Windows 7.
This information applies for the Windows 7 operating system.
This is the 7R1 release of the kit. Included in this version:
• Device Stage General Development Kit
• Windows 7 Device Stage Design Guide
• Windows 7 Device Stage Development Guide
• Windows 7 Device Stage Reference Guide
• Windows 7 Device Stage XML Schemas
• Windows 7 Device Stage Development Samples
• Device Stage Portable Devices Development Kit
• Windows 7 Device Stage Portable Devices Development Guide
• Windows 7 Device Stage Planning Worksheet
• Portable Devices Tutorial
• Portable Devices Development Samples
• Device Stage Document Devices Development Kit
• Windows 7 Device Stage Document Devices Development Guide
• Windows 7 Device Stage Document Devices Planning Worksheet
• Document Devices Tutorial
• Document Devices Development Samples